Antelope Valley Thespians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antelope Valley Thespians

Independant discussion board for the actors, staff, crew, and fans of theater and the arts in the greater Antelope Valley, California.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-01-18

"Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Empty
PostSubject: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 1:25 am

All cast welcome to post on this thread here by the way.

Exonerated rehearsals moved on apace today. It's a tough show, let me tell you. I like this director's style, crashing through all the blocking up front; I can see how this is really going to help us focus on the fine points later on, but for now its a bit awkward stumbling through trying to get lines and characters down while remembering the exact positioning necessary for a theater-in-the-round.

Theater-in-the-round is a new experience for me. It's weird having to deal with blocking for an audience that is completely surrounding you. The angles have to be exactly right to convey the right thing without obscuring part of the action. It's very fun though, and I like the enhanced sense of depth it brings... sort of like watching a movie with those 3D glasses, it becomes one step more real. It's a very intimate form of theater.

I'm getting a big kick out of the cast. It's nice that every now and then we can all share a laugh, despite the heavy subject matter.

Prognosis so far: its going to be a great show! Stay tuned...
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
Tamitha
Neophyte
Neophyte

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 11:41 am

Yoda,

The Round is my favorite. And, it's tricky getting used to, at first. But, when the audience fills in and you have them to play off of, you will find that the more intimate you can get with them, the better. We did Shakespeare in the round a lot, back home. And, in OK, we even did musicals that way. It really is a great way to help an actor become more acquainted with their character. You are so close to the audience, you really have to nail it. So, break a leg. And, I can't wait to see.

Tamitha
Back to top Go down
duderonomy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:12 pm

It's gonna be an awesome show. I really got into the stories at today's rehearsal. At the end, I fought real hard not to show any emotion.

dude

"Expectations is the place you must always go to before you get to where you're going. Of course, some people never go beyond Expectations, but my job is to hurry them along whether they like it or not."
Back to top Go down
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Rehearsals are starting to become very moving. This play is more than just words on a page now, it's a series of very profound and horrible stories that cut right into me, even though I've heard each repeatedly by now. Our rendition of "Amazing Grace" at the end gives me chills... and Frankie's little blues solo verse in the middle there as David, wow.

DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW. It's going to change your life to see it.
Back to top Go down
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:01 pm

I think the director's "crash through everything from day one" method is working very well. The first few rehearsals were awkward and lengthy, as we attempted to do blocking, character work, and lines all at the same time. But putting motion to the words has really helped with memorization, and characters as well... as if they naturally fall out of what the director has envisioned in terms of movement. Nearly everyone is almost off-book, and though we have 6 rehearsals left before opening night, I think we could do it in two if we really had to. A show where we actually will have time to spend on the subtle finishing touches... wow! Contrast with "Scaryoke"... though don't get me wrong, the slapped-together nature of that production was a fun experience in itself!
Back to top Go down
ragman5
Neophyte
Neophyte
ragman5

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Finally had a chance to respond. I think it's coming along great. I think we have a really good cast. We did a full run thru last Sunday, and even though 1 person was out sick, it went really well. Doing it in the round is definately different, a far cry from "Cheaper". Only 2 rehearsals now, lets just hope everyone stays healthy.

Joe
Back to top Go down
karen gruca
Wannabe
Wannabe

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 12:14 pm

The rehearsal are just totaly evolving. I am learning alot about stage managing on this show even though it is very different. I am learning from the best Linda. It is hard not to cry during the run throughs. Everyone is doing an excellant job and boy have we all been stretched on this one. I must say that Stage managing is not for the faint of heart it requires alot of attention and splitting your mind into different places in order to view all aspects of the show. I think i would like to try and direct as well it seems taht may be easier not to take away from responsibility from directing . I am loving it.
Back to top Go down
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 11:03 am

The show is strong going into the opening week, though still a few hiccups here and there.... a note to directors / stage managers of theater in the round: make sure the rehearsal area is oriented the same way as the eventual performance area! Smile That said, the director and crew are doing a phenomenal job. This week is going to be exhausting, but I'm excited for the show to open on Friday! I hope you are all coming to see it!
Back to top Go down
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 9:01 am

Friday's show is sold out as of yesterday morning, and Saturday and Sunday are expected to follow suit today... if you want tickets to this show, call NOW.
Back to top Go down
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 11:13 am

Opening night, w00t! The cast has gelled, the stage is set, test audiences have lovved it, and by all accounts we're sold out every night!

GO TEAM!!!

See you guys at the cast party tonight!
Back to top Go down
Tamitha
Neophyte
Neophyte

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 12:11 pm

Break a leg, tonight. We're coming Sunday. Can't wait to see you guys. Have a ggggggggggggoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddddddd sssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww.......

Tamitha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal   "Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Exonerated" Rehearsal Journal
Page 1 of 1