Antelope Valley Thespians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antelope Valley Thespians

Independant discussion board for the actors, staff, crew, and fans of theater and the arts in the greater Antelope Valley, California.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cropped Musicals

Go down 
2 posters

Should musicals be altered/cropped from their original form for the purpose of creating more mass appeal?
Yes
Cropped Musicals Vote_lcap33%Cropped Musicals Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Maybe
Cropped Musicals Vote_lcap0%Cropped Musicals Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No
Cropped Musicals Vote_lcap67%Cropped Musicals Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Cropped Musicals Empty
PostSubject: Cropped Musicals   Cropped Musicals Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Similar to Jay's Play to Movie thread, here is a question. What do you think of musicals that have been cropped down and commercialized to create a wider appeal? The example I think of is when I saw "Phantom of the Opera" at the Venetian in Las Vegas. I still loved the show, but it was obvious that a good deal had been cut from the original. They left all the songs mostly intact, but got the whole thing down to a scant intermission-less 1:45. While totally worth it, it wasn't the same in my opinion.

I would think more of the general populace with Hollywood attention spans would be more inclined to sit through something roughly the length of a movie than something close to 3 hours long. And if you want the audience numbers that Vegas can bring, well you may have to cater to the Vegas mindset... overdone and fleeting before the next thing to do.

We could be purists (or snobs?) and say that the art should be enjoyed only by those who appreciate its intended form. Or we could be egalitarians (or sell-outs?) and say that art should be designed to appeal to the common man, and that anything that promotes the arts is good.

What do you think? What other nuances of this question come into play?
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
keltroncybo
keltroncybo

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Cropped Musicals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cropped Musicals   Cropped Musicals Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 7:03 pm

I suppose I have to stick to my hard-line traditionalist pattern. I say leave the art as is (yes, I think musicals are art).
Back to top Go down

Cropped Musicals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antelope Valley Thespians :: Theater :: Section: Dramaturgy :: General Dramaturgy-
Jump to: