Antelope Valley Thespians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antelope Valley Thespians

Independant discussion board for the actors, staff, crew, and fans of theater and the arts in the greater Antelope Valley, California.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Henry V: hero or total jerk?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Henry V: hero or total jerk? Empty
PostSubject: Henry V: hero or total jerk?   Henry V: hero or total jerk? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:13 pm

I've read Henry V a few times, and seen it performed twice, though admittedly never by "professionals." The first couple of times I read it, I saw Henry the king as a very noble character; on the surface, he is indeed a very proud and strong leader, first in the charge and full of speech after lengthy speech of patriotic encouragement to his troops. Both times I saw it performed, Henry was portrayed similarly, as a very "good" character.

Lately however, I have had my doubts. I get this sneaking suspicion that he is in fact a total jerk, obsessed with self-glorification and the advancement of his personal honor and standing above all else; further, his grand and glorious speeches then are but trite ways of manipulating his inferiors. I get an especially ugly vibe recently from the whole Katherine scene... it seems so patronizing all of a sudden/ And given Shakespeare's penchant for creating multilevel characters, especially as protagonists, I fear a hero of mine has turned into a rather bad role model.

I have no quotes off the top of my head to back this up, and I will search for some to post; but does anyone in general agree with me, or am I the only one who reads it that way? Perhaps that is the way everyone reads it, and I have only lately joined the rest of the class, but it doesn't seem like the majority or on-the-surface opinion is such.
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
keltroncybo
keltroncybo

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Henry V: hero or total jerk? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Henry V: hero or total jerk?   Henry V: hero or total jerk? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 2:53 pm

To be honest, until you brought this to my attention, I never read it that way. I stage-managed this show in college and I promised myself I'd never look at it again. lol j/k....

Now I'll have to take a look at it with this tidbit in mind.

Thanks QC...
Back to top Go down

Henry V: hero or total jerk?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antelope Valley Thespians :: Theater :: Section: Dramaturgy :: Shakespeare-
Jump to: