Antelope Valley Thespians

Independant discussion board for the actors, staff, crew, and fans of theater and the arts in the greater Antelope Valley, California.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Exonerated Reviews

Go down 
AuthorMessage
melster
Initiate
Initiate

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:47 am

I saw Exonerated last night. And all I can say is "wow". It was an amazing play. Kudos to the cast and crew!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tamitha
Neophyte
Neophyte

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:10 am

Kudos to the cast and crew of 'The Exonerated.' I saw it Sunday and was extremely impressed w/ all who were involved. You all made a huge commitment, did some stretching, and it really paid off.

Joe, your emotion moved me to tears. I could see the internalizing. You were there, amazing.
Susan stretched herself and made the character of Sunny come to life. Dean really separated his characters and made them jump right at you. Ed, I had never seen on stage before. I was blown away by his masterful way of commanding the stage. Great presence. Karen, the guys couldn't have done it without you. Great show to have been a part of, what great experience to take with you.

Finally, QC, I must say, you impressed me brother. I didn't get to see your performance in Scaryoke; but, knew you had it in you. I was blown away by the separation of character, your ability to not only physically, but, vocally separate them. At one time, I closed my eyes and could have sworn that I was hearing Curly from Oklahoma. LOL

What a great afternoon of theatre for the AV. I look forward to many more with the City Players. Great job. Many more to come..........

Tamitha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
purpltaz27
Wannabe
Wannabe

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:00 pm

After being lucky enough to see the show a couple times during tech rehearsal and the real thing Saturday night, I have to say it was really a moving production! The ironic part is that I happened to be reading The Innocent Man by John Grisham the same week. Having that insight gave the play more depth, and the play gave the book more character. It's amazing just how many corrupt factors are involved in the convictions of innocent people. It's not necessarily one piece of evidence or one bad lawyer or cop or judge. It's a combination of all of the above, plus being at the wrong place at the wrong time. And in the end, when they are exonerated, it doesn't seem like they ever regain their freedom. They have no apologies from the system, nor any help, plus, they're placed into a society that is still critical of them. Not to mention the damage of being in prison as an innocent individual. I think the mind games and mental abuse would be scars forever.

Either way, the play was definitely one to get you to think on a topic you rarely, if ever think about. And if you get the chance to see another production of this, then try to read The Innocent Man around the same time. It's nonfiction, but it reads like a novel as much as the play tells the story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:03 pm

Thank you for the kind words Tamitha. Truely, everyone did a great job. I think our PCP'ers took on a show that perhaps looked to big for us at first, but stepped up and grew into it nicely. I would like to compliment Susan and Joe in particular, who performed beyond anything I've seen them do. It was a huge learning experience for me being with everyone in this show, and such a honor to be a part of something as important and relevant as this play's message.

You know, I never intended to be in this production. Normally I do not consider race an issue in casting or auditioning; it simply does not even enter my head. But after reading the advance copy of the script that I ordered, I realized that for this play, at least for the main characters, race was important. These were/are real people, and especially with the death penalty, race is important to the story. So I told Dea (the director), "hey, I'm just here to audition for fun and to help read lines for others."

All of my parts technically belonged to other people. Black Cop, Black Guy 1, and Black Guy 2 were supposed to be played by the same actor that played David Keaton. Inmate 1, Inmate 2, and the Farmer were supposed to be played by one or the other of the two white ensemble actors. I am neither white nor black (do I hear a Michael Jackson song?), but somehow ended up cast as 6 roles, all very different characters, and all races that I am not, in a play I never intended to be in.

At first, I was not comfortable with the situation at all. I'll be honest, to play black roles in a room half full of skilled black actors is very intimidating... was I offending them? Am I being stereotypical? Would I offend people in the audience, even if my fellow actors understood? Can I really say the n-word? Oh man, I was terrified. But, and I love them for this, the cast could not have been more supportive and positive about my role(s) in the production. And today, the day after closing night, I am so glad Dea cast me in this play.

I think I learned so much from being in this play, not just about the subject matter, but about myself as an actor. I have never had to play such a diverse array of roles (nay, real people) in one show before. My old acting teacher said "there are no small roles, only small actors." I never really believed that until this show. The number of lines my characters had ranged from one to about six. The longest I was ever on stage at a time was about three minutes. But man.... it just seemed so important for me to get each of these characters not only distinct, but individually memorable. On top of that, throw in the fact that I've never done theater in the round before, and boy was this show a challenge.

So, in conclusion, wow. A wow cast, a wow crew, and a wow message. It's a an awesome feeling to be a part of something so powerful and moving as "The Exonerated." Making people genuinely laugh, cry, and well up in anger in the same night is an incredible experience, and I have Dea primarily to thank for it. Thank you Dea, for casting me in this show and giving me a chance to prove I could rise to this challenge; thank you fellow cast for supporting me all the way and being awesome examples; and thank you every single audience member, for making the experience meaningful and powerful for us all.

Great show!!!!

"You must unlearn what you have learned." --Yoda, Jedi Master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
ragman5
Neophyte
Neophyte

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:51 am

We had such a wonderful, supportive cast on "Exonerated". Everybody was there for everyone else with kind, positive words of support and encouragement. I think that's important in any case, but it really helped this time. It also took a little getting used to performing in the round, but you know, I kinda like it. I just feel that everyone stepped up and delivered, and reached beyond what they thought they could do in a play with hard subject matter like this. I feel privileged to have been a part of this, ever so thankful to Dea for even casting me, and to count myself lucky to have been able to work with such a talented group of nice people, not to mention make a few new friends. The tech crew did a great job all the way around, (no pun intended), with the set construction, to the sound and the lights. I also want to thank Cathy Felty, and my wife Karen, for doing a superb job with all the costume changes. Although I didn't have to worry about that since I only had the one change, other folks did, and the two of them did a marvelous, exhausting job chasing the actors around helping them change. To coin a phrase I've seen here a couple of times, "Wow"!

Joe

Last edited by ragman5 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karen gruca
Wannabe
Wannabe

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:21 am

elephant YEAH to everyone in the show. I am sooooo proud of everyone. What an awesome experiance. Thank you Tamitha for your nice words. Joe well you know! Nalin do not forget you are adopted into the family. It was a lot of work, stressful at times and very mentaly stretched. I did learn alot and am ready to do it again. I guess it is addicting. The cast worked hard and long and it showed. This show was for sure an OUT OF BOX project. everyone WOW!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mathew.jediknight
Initiate
Initiate

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:50 pm

I only have one word to really describe Exonerated, INCREDIBLE! What a powerful show. I saw it twice, once on Thur. tech night and the show on Sat. night. Both times I was enthralled. Not only was the story telling powerful, but the way each actor played each role and the emotion behind it was amazing! At least three times during the show I got teary eyed. Seriously, I'm not afraid to admit that. You guys all rock!!! Back stage crew was awesome as well. To do all that you had to in limited space with very limited time. You all are the unsung heroes. Again, kudos to all on a show VERY well done. (and even these compliments do no justice!) lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
keltroncybo

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:08 pm

I must say this was the best production I've seen at the PPH....so much surprising talent and so much HARD work!

I'm so proud of all of you!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exonerated Reviews   

Back to top Go down

Exonerated Reviews
Page 1 of 1