Antelope Valley Thespians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antelope Valley Thespians

Independant discussion board for the actors, staff, crew, and fans of theater and the arts in the greater Antelope Valley, California.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Makeup Playdate

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kara
Amateur Thespian
Amateur Thespian
Kara

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Makeup Playdate Empty
PostSubject: Makeup Playdate   Makeup Playdate Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 am

Something's fishy...I thought I already posted this topic, but I can't find it, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

I'm hoping to set up a makeup playdate. Yeah, you heard me. A lot of people attended the Rythumz Dancewear Open House and bought new theatrical makeup kits and have had absolutely no opportunity to use them yet. While I'd still love to instruct formal classes through PPH and possibly other venues, I'd also love to just get together with friends to play and experiment with materials. This would be a great opportunity to try out some cool stuff in a supportive environment--not tied to any particular show or time constraints. Always wanted to be a vampire? Fairie? King Lear? Car accident victim? Here's a chance to play and learn.

Post a reply if you're interested and I'll try to get a head count and a venue together to support the group. This could be a LOT of fun...seriously!
Back to top Go down
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211

Makeup Playdate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makeup Playdate   Makeup Playdate Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:50 pm

I'm definitely interested, especially if its soon... Exonerated opens on the 14th, dress/tech rehearsals starting next Monday, and I don't want to be staring cluelessly at my kit one hour to curtain...

Is this weekend a possibility?
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
keltroncybo
keltroncybo

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Makeup Playdate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makeup Playdate   Makeup Playdate Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:03 am

Count me in as well! QC....it's ok....we all no you'll still be staring at your kit in horror.....

"NO PURPLE LIPSTICK!!!???"

Gosh...I'm funny.. cheers
Back to top Go down
Kara
Amateur Thespian
Amateur Thespian
Kara

Makeup Playdate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makeup Playdate   Makeup Playdate Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 2:56 pm

QuantumCowboy wrote:
I'm definitely interested, especially if its soon... Exonerated opens on the 14th,

Oooh! This actually brings up a veeerrrrry interesting point about stage makeup and theatre-in-the-round! So glad you asked, QC!
Actually, you may want to hold off breaking out that kit for The Exonerated.
Here's why:
Consider how close some/most of your audience members are, and consider the character(s) you are playing. Ask yourself the following questions: Am I going to be within just a few feet of my nearest audience members? Do the characters I'm playing look like me, or am I going to need to age and/or change my appearance considerably to play the part(s)? And most importantly, will makeup help or hinder me in this performance? Remember--ESPECIALLY WITH MEN--stage makeup for a show like The Exonerated could potentially be extremely distracting if it's detected by the audience member in a setting as intimate as theatre-in-the-round, and with a subject that is true-to-life as this is. Therefore, if it's even used at all, it should be thinned out and applied using the same techniques as in film/television makeup (extremely well-blended, subtle, undetectable as makeup). So if you need to use makeup (eg. for a scar, to age, to appear like a drug addict or to suggest environmental/health issues) then you need to do so very, very carefully.
If you were a woman, though, playing a woman who WOULD wear makeup, then by all means it would be appropriate--in fact, using street makeup could even be a nice, realistic touch in this instance. The high pigmentations and "heaviness" of stage makeup could overwhelm in this intimate setting and again distract and take away from the real-ness of the show.
In short, using stage makeup for stage makeup's sake in this instance wouldn't be recommended, in my opinion.

However, this of course would be your director's call to make!
Back to top Go down
Kara
Amateur Thespian
Amateur Thespian
Kara

Makeup Playdate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makeup Playdate   Makeup Playdate Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:00 pm

PS.
QC, if you realize that your character(s) would need a little something makeupwise, then I would be overjoyed to give you some help this weekend specifically for The Exonerated. I'd never leave my brother hangin'.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Kara
Amateur Thespian
Amateur Thespian
Kara

Makeup Playdate Empty
PostSubject: Makeup Playdate II   Makeup Playdate Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 12:10 pm

Just wanted to give a shout-out to QC and Keltron for being EXEMPLARY makeup students this weekend during an impromptu makeup playdate at my place.

Both brought their makeup kits and attempted new things. Keltron did a beautiful rendition of an Elizabethian Society Lady, complete with alabaster foundation, muted eyes, and vivid red cheeks and lips--beautiful and accurate to the period! Bravo!

QC, a neophyte to makeup (or IS he?) demonstrated that he could master the art of foundation mixing for a perfect tonal match to his unique coloring and learn the basics of highlight and shadow like a champ. The result was flawless--perfect for our stage at PPH.

I was so impressed by their willingness to learn and attention to detail. Keltron, who has been designing and applying stage makeup for a good number of years now, has wonderful artistic instincts and a passion to learn new techniques. QC's analyical mind is an asset for him and shows in his precise application technique and his innate desire to "get it right".

I'd love to continue these "playdates" with larger groups--perhaps developing themes and/or lessons specific to whatever people want to learn. It's great learning for me, too! ALL experience levels from none to some to tons will be welcome!

Budget cuts at the PPH will probably mean that their facility/dressing room will not be available to us, but maybe I can find a different place for us to meet. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Anyone interested in further makeup playdates can respond to this post or PM me...

flower
Back to top Go down
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211

Makeup Playdate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makeup Playdate   Makeup Playdate Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks Kara! We're only good because we learned from the best! Very Happy

Now that I know the basics of getting my standard look, I would like to have more sessions sometime focused on how to alter my appearance. That is, how can I make myself look older, younger, thinner, fatter, meaner, sickly, etc? Different characters may call for radically different looks of course...

Thanks again Kara, that was great!
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Makeup Playdate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makeup Playdate   Makeup Playdate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Makeup Playdate
Page 1 of 1