Antelope Valley Thespians

Independant discussion board for the actors, staff, crew, and fans of theater and the arts in the greater Antelope Valley, California.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Reality Television

Go down 

Reality Television
Give it to me all day long!!
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
Eh, whatever.
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
I'd rather stick a white hot poker in my eyes.
71%
 71% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
James Jay

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Reality Television   Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Time to start getting some more debates going.

A lot of people are addicted to reality programs, and with the recent writers strike, we saw a surge in "reality" and game show programming. Here's where it gets interesting.

This is, I guess, for those who actually watch TV. What are your opinions on reality programs? Vote in the poll, then justify.

I put this in the Other Arts forum, since screen acting is an art form....to a degree Wink

"Always remember, no matter where you go, there you are."--Buckaroo Banzai
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/the_magic_of_james_jay
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Reality Television   Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:32 pm

I really just don't like most of television, and reality tv in my opinion is just the worst part of it all. Things I watch on TV:

1. The three footballs: American, Association (soccer), and Rugby.
2. The History Channel
3. on rare occasion Discovery, National Geographic, SciFi, or NASA
4. on very rare occasion The Simpsons, John Stewart, and the Colbert Report.

IMHO, mostly anything else, including television news of any sort, is contributing to a rapid decline in the general mental and physical fitness of society, especially reality tv. If it's not sports, intelligent satirical comedy, or informational content, in my opinion it's a waste of time I could be spending on more worthwhile things.

I can see an exception if you are watching reality tv specifically to laugh AT it and AT people who watch it seriously thinking that it's worthwhile content.

Sorry about the opinionated response right up front! Laughing

"You must unlearn what you have learned." --Yoda, Jedi Master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
mathew.jediknight
Initiate
Initiate

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Reality Television   Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:55 am

Hi! I'm going to have to side with QC a bit on this one. Granted, there is a lot more reality t.v. on nowadays due both to its' increasing popularity and that there is a signicant lack of new scripted shows. Yes, the writer's strike did impact prodcution of our dramas and sitcoms, which gave rise to more reality-based shows, but scripted shows seem to be in trouble anyway. Pilots that don't get picked up; acclaimed new shows that get cancelled in 3 episodes; the repetitve monotany that comes from a lack of new ideas for stories. All of these things are impacting television (and movies) as a whole. The art, if I may, of screen acting, is being lost to supposed "reality shows" that place 'off-the-street, non-acting' people in un-real situations. What's so 'real' about a bunch of different people thrown together in a room, on an island, etc., with different tasks that must be done and each with varying personalties, just to see what happens. A bunch of guys going after one girl, or the reverse, or both. Hardly any of the things that happen on reality shows really happen in real life. These things also, I believe, must have some form of a script to go by, the rest being improvised. (well beyond what it needs to be) It's too over-the-top to be really real. It's just too ridiculous for me, although I do give them a bit of credit with the fact that these people go on these silly shows and 'act' crazy and do weird things so a lot of people can see them behave in such a manner that they are. That's takes guts and maybe a little talent. Maybe..... Long story short, I can't stand reality t.v. and please also forgive me if I came down hard on subject. I don't watch much t.v. either, scripted or otherwise. Some sci-fi, History, AMC, a couple of shows I do watch on occasion, or an occasional channel surfing works for me. I prefer a good movie, anime, or video game when I'm in front of the t.v. That's the nerd in me folks! Epic/Sci-fi movies, Japanese anime, and adventure/role playing/fighting games. Yeah baby!! All other forms of art, in certain aspects. (Nerdy ones!! lol! )

I'm out! Live long and prosper!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
keltroncybo

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Reality Television   Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:04 pm

I say "Eh" whatever!

I have been sucked into the occasional reality TV show...Hell's Kitchen...Shear Genious....I like these shows because they are an opportunity to watch someone who is really good at a relatively un-observed art. I really enjoy Iron Chef too.

I agree with QC and Jedi about the other kind of "reality TV" if I see one more big chested female drunk in a hottub passed off as entertainment I'm going to lose it. I really feel sorry for the folks who subject themselves to reality show humiliation.

So all in all...like pretty much every "art" I think there are ok ways to do it...and VERY NOT OK ways to do it.

Consider that my two cents. farao

ragman5
Neophyte
Neophyte

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Reality Television   Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:59 am

I don't care for them at all. To me, they're just not that real.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
melster
Initiate
Initiate

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Reality Television   Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:07 pm

Um. I'd rather poke my eyes out. Reality tv is horrible, and has just continued to get worse every year. Granted I did watch it when it was new. I did see the first Survivor, the first American Idol and Shear Genius, but that's it. It has served it's purpose and is known turned ridiculous. And seriously, I mean Survivor what....15? And Big Brother 8 or something? All of this means one thing to me. Sadly we have no creative people in the business! Where are all the unique stories for sitcoms? T.V. is starting to go down the tube. I don't watch much (only c.s.i. - the original, criminal minds, chuck and the office, than on occasion the history channel and animal planet). Right know I'm more into books, movies, and being outdoors!! I hate being stuck inside. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reality Television   

Back to top Go down

Reality Television
Page 1 of 1