Antelope Valley Thespians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antelope Valley Thespians

Independant discussion board for the actors, staff, crew, and fans of theater and the arts in the greater Antelope Valley, California.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favorite Book, and Why?

Go down 
+2
Kara
QuantumCowboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Your Favorite Book, and Why? Empty
PostSubject: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 9:38 pm

I can't get enough Alexandre Dumas. Passion, adventure, swordplay, treachery, secret romances, assassinations, horses, and France... what's not to like (except the French)? I remember reading "The Three Musketeers" for the first time while I was in high school -- I was totally hooked. Since then, I've purchased or been given three different translations into English, as well as the original in French with the historical annotations. Obsessed? Wait 'till I get going!

I was running short of the honors credits needed to graduate with honors at ASU, and simultaneously wishing I could travel more, when I spotted a program through the honors college for summer study abroad. "Uh... where do I sign?" Never mind that it took me 2 full summers working on a family friend's ranch back home in Idaho to pay off my debt from that trip, I had a blast.

At the core was a summer thesis that had to be related to French literature and/or history. My thesis, of course, was on The Three Musketeers. Dumas was a history buff, but like any good storyteller, when the truth started to become a little dry he... stretched it a bit. Embellished you might say. Ok, ok, fine, he completely recast and caricatured historical figures to fit his fun plot plans, to the point where most people know the fictionalized figures as historical fact. My mission was to explore the nuances of what he changed from the real deal, and to examine how that has affected his contemporary as well as modern interpretation of French history.

I spent three months living in Paris, chasing down various buildings and historical figures, getting lost in streets that had for some reason been renamed since the 1600's (imagine that!), and attempting to learn enough French to eat (no hablo parlez-vous sprechen hamburger?) and interpret some of the literature. It was a fantastic experience, and while I'll be among the first to admit that the novel isn't particularly well written, I must insist that it is awfully fun to get into. One of the few things remaining I need to do is to find a theater company that will let me play Athos in a stage production (*cough* Tamitha? *cough*).

All in all, I love it mainly because it's like the bastard child of a great work of literature and a pulp action comic. Not only is it romantic (in the adventurous sense of the word), but it also has a definite feel of "We return to our hero as he dashes across....." Culture with a bit of guy action flick, you can't top that. And if you want to borrow a copy, well, I've got three....
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
Kara
Amateur Thespian
Amateur Thespian
Kara

Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 8:08 pm

QuantumCowboy wrote:
One of the few things remaining I need to do is to find a theater company that will let me play Athos in a stage production ....

QC,
The only show Marcus and I did together in college was "Three Musketeers"!! He played...Athos. I played Lady de Winter. We'd been dating for just a few months at the time, so the passion was...well, passionate! I lost my head in the show (literally, and by Athos). The beheading scene was magnificent if I do say so myself. We trained the fight crew for about 9 months before the show went up, and the choreography more than made up for the rather lackluster playwrighting. We produced the show on a fully revolving stage (gasp!!) and made ample use of the revolve, fly rails, and levels for the choreography--it was soooo beautiful to watch--and the costumes! Oh! What a trip down memory lane I'm taking with this! I would love to come up with some photos to show you!

Anyway...
Fave book, huh?
Ugh, that's tough. There are soooo many...
Back to top Go down
keltroncybo
keltroncybo

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Keltron's Fav   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Ummm...I'd have to say to Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite "great" book. I have a lot of casual fav's but TKaM is easily one of best respectable books I've read. I also very much love Gone With the Wind...even though Nalin wasn't impressed by the pages upon pages of Civil War era fashion. I think I like these books because they are both incredibly romantic...Gone with the Wind is obviously romantic in the litteral sense, but I think TKaM is romantic in the sense that chivalry and honor are alive and well, good parenting is possible and kids can still have great adventures in the summertime.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day "Atticus Finch for President" cheers
Back to top Go down
melster
Initiate
Initiate
melster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 11:01 am

I would have to say my favorite book is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I have read this book at least 6 times in the past 2 years, that must say something about it! (either it's a good book or I have nothing better to do with my time than re-read!) It's not so much the story that makes the book, but what the author is telling me as a reader. The book really makes me think about my life and the decisions I have made and will have to make. As a person am I living to my full potential? Have I discovered what it is I am supposed to do in my life? And every time I read it, I dig deeper into myself and try to understand my purpose for being here.

So if you haven't ever read this book I highly recommend it!! It's an easy read, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Back to top Go down
James Jay
James Jay

Number of posts : 137

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 11:25 am

Trying to figure out my favorite book is nearly impossible, as I love to read! Mysteries and thrillers are tops with me, from Christe to Doyle, as well as Grafton, Queen, and Spillaine.

I also enjoy the occasional fantasy novel, particularly Tolkein. I could re-read The Hobbit anytime (and have!) and it's about time for me to revisit middle earth again.

Biographies interest me insofar as important historical contibutions.....Stuff like Trump's bio, or non-essential celebrity tell-alls are wastes of time, energy and raw materials.

I have no use for romance novels, either. They make no sense, or make all normal men seem overwhelmingly inadequate.

So there it is. Favortites? Anything that strikes my interest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/the_magic_of_james_jay
keltroncybo
keltroncybo

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 11:08 am

I've heard about the Alchemist...I must read it now!

Jay, you're lame....all men should be like Rhett Butler and Atticus Finch....what the Heck! Wink

farao <---why not?
Back to top Go down
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:09 pm

The Alchemist is on my shortlist of books I need to read soon. melster got me a copy for xmas and I still haven't gotten around to it... sorry! [sigh]I wish I had more time to read for leisure[/sigh]. Oh well, I'll get around to it.

kel, now I think I need to reread TKaM sometime too... I know I read it in an English class at some point but I really don't remember a darn thing. I'll try again. Maybe I just didn't get it. English majors have thrown things at me in the past for saying I hated "The Scarlet Letter".... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
keltroncybo
keltroncybo

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 7:05 pm

Nalin,

I only made it about half way through the Scarlet Letter...it's one I'd like to read but I tend to get distracted easily. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tamitha
Neophyte
Neophyte

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Kelly brings up an interesting point. It seems to me that all of us, at some time in our lives, have had to read a book that may not have been what we would have chosen at the time. But, as I get older, I find myself revisiting those classics, and great things are blossoming. Of Mice and Men, for example, was complicated and strange in the tenth grade. But, now, I find it fascinating. Smile Tamitha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Book, and Why?   Your Favorite Book, and Why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite Book, and Why?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antelope Valley Thespians :: Social :: Social Lounge-
Jump to: