Antelope Valley Thespians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antelope Valley Thespians

Independant discussion board for the actors, staff, crew, and fans of theater and the arts in the greater Antelope Valley, California.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yes Virginia Props (resurrected)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Yes Virginia Props (resurrected) Empty
PostSubject: Yes Virginia Props (resurrected)   Yes Virginia Props (resurrected) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Just to reiterate from our last board which had to go down...

I loved working on "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" with everyone. Radio was a brand new experience for me and I couldn't have found a better group of people with whom to dive right into it. A special thanks to my fellow foleys, thanks for teaching me and giving me a great intro to that almost-lost art!

For reference, the site I found with Old Time radio plays for download is here:
http://www.otrfan.com/

Enjoy!

Last edited by on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
James Jay
James Jay

Number of posts : 137

PostSubject: Re: Yes Virginia Props (resurrected)   Yes Virginia Props (resurrected) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Absolutely! Working on this production was a lot of work, but much fun! I am very anxious to see/hear the final recorded product. Everyone who worked on in both on and off stage did a fantastic job! Mad props to all!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/the_magic_of_james_jay
QuantumCowboy
Admin
Admin
QuantumCowboy

Number of posts : 211

PostSubject: Re: Yes Virginia Props (resurrected)   Yes Virginia Props (resurrected) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 8:27 am

I managed to recover some of the posts from the old forum. Here is a listing of the original "More Yes Virginia Props." Usernames have been changed to reflect the current ones, if they exist.

Kara
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:14 PM
What a lovely show Yes Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus turned out to be. Sometimes a show can be like a mirror--if you're too close to it you fail to see the whole image clearly. This is why I frequently rely heavily on the constructive criticism of my husband, Marcus, during the run of a show. As a full-time professional commercial director and part-time professional voice-over artist, I was particularly interested to hear his feedback on Yes, Virginia (and, admittedly, a little nervous, too!). However, he was extremely complimentary! Most notably, he was impressed with the work at the foley table. As a long-forgotten art form, foley work is difficult and taxing even for those well-versed at it. Our foley artists were wonderful! Well done, troop! Not only was it interesting to hear, Marcus said, but it was interesting to watch. Excellent.
He also had fantastic things to say about the work of our own James Jay , whom, he claims, "nailed it".
Even matched up with a vocal talent like Andrew Fenady, my husband felt that we held our own quite nicely. And I agree.
Like QC, I too was a little worried about the final outcome. However, I think we pulled it off splendidly and it's so exciting to watch us all grow as a group of hard working people who are passionate about theatre.
This is just the start of something GREAT! Let's keep up the effort and high spirits and grow this group into something AMAZING!

QuantumCowboy
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:25 PM
I *loved* doing the foley work, and I'm glad to hear that Marcus enjoyed it. It was definitely a new experience for me. I had never done a radio show before and it certainly is a different way of thinking. The hardest part I think was trying to handle the conflicting requirements of multitasking thought, doing three things at once, while at the same time attempting to move as slooooooooowwwwwwly as possible so as not to make any rustling or bumping that those o-so-sensitive mics would pick up. I've definitely got some thoughts for next time we do a radio show, this one was a good learning experience.

Side note:
You know, if we wrote these, even if they were short, we could post them as mp3's for download or stream them as podcasts... something to add to our brand new webpage/forum here!

N.

QuantumCowboy
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 11:00 PM
Note: this post moved from an earlier, separate thread. just trying to keep the topics organized.

There were six or seven people from DFRC who came down for the show, and they were all gushing about it today. Everyone loved it! A couple asked if there were any more shows so that they could experience it again now knowing what to expect, and one guy even suggested that we make a one-night "Yes Virginia" a yearly holiday tradition!

Up through dress rehearsal, I have to say that I was skeptical what the end result would be... ok, so sue me for doubting. But when the crowd filed in and the lights came up, we delivered, and I'm so very proud to have worked with all the talented people we have.

Dean is without question one of the hardest working people we have. He made such an effort to deliver, and I think it turned out great.

Kara, what a well-defined character, you really got into it.

Jay you old dockfighter, what a show!

Kelly, you rock my world! I love your voice.

Mad props to my fellow foleys, the band, and the whole cast and crew. I wish the house had been full and that promoting the show didn't have to compete with Tuna, but I think it was a great experience.

James Jay
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 6:18 PM
All's I can say is the cast and crew ROCKED IT!!! It was an absolute pleasure to work with such a talented cast.

QC, your direction on foley was awesome!

Kara, your Mrs. Goldstein was terrific.

Kelly, what a voice you have. I got chills, even though I have no idea what the words were......

Dean, amazing my friend, you make a great drunk. ;-) If you do that well sober, I can only imagine you with a few in you.

And if Sarah ever shows up here, you did such a fantastic job! See? I told you there was nothing to be nervous about!

Thanks to Mr. Fenady for allowing us to put on his show. What's the next radio show? I'm looking into old time crime shows, like The Shadow, or Gangbusters.

QuantumCowboy
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 6:30 PM

James Jay wrote:
I'm looking into old time crime shows, like The Shadow, or Gangbusters.

I know! I'm so into it now. What a trip. Check out this site I found while googling for Dragnet downloads: http://www.otrfan.com/.

Jay, I thought you said you were into these... know of any place to get them? Do you just happen to own a few on mp3/CD/cassette/8-track/LP/phonograph? I'd love to listen to a few sometime.

I wonder what the rights to these things cost? I wouldn't mind doing some low-key stuff for libraries or something. It's pretty fun.

N.

James Jay
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 2:53 PM

QuantumCowboy wrote:
Jay, I thought you said you were into these... know of any place to get them? Do you just happen to own a few on mp3/CD/cassette/8-track/LP/phonograph? I'd love to listen to a few sometime.

I have a few, not many. I still have the very first one I ever bought when I was in high school, on cassette. I also found two programs at emusic.com as well as the original Mecury Theater broadcast of War of the Worlds. Most can be purchased through bookstores, like B&N or Borders.

I plan on adding to my collection over the next few weeks, but I'll bring you a copy of War and the Shadow on Wednesday. You're coming right? We need to do a duet of I'm a Lumberjack.........

melster
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 6:35 PM
There is another website: http://www.radiolovers.com that lets you listen to radio dramas for free. There are some neat ones on there!

James Jay
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 9:41 PM
Thanks melster! What a great site! I just checked it out, and put it in my favorites. Lots of great shows there.......

No Shadow, but Gangbusters, Batman, Red Skelton, and lots others are there......

I'll be filling up my hard drive soon.

QuantumCowboy
Posted: Dec 11, 2007 8:11 PM
Thanks Melissa! Nice to see the fans chipping in on the forum too! Definitely a great site.

Yeah so I'm totally hooked on "Dragnet" now.

Bum-ba-DUM-bum.
Bum-ba-DUM-bum-BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

"February 12th. It was cold in Los Angeles. We were working the day-watch out of homicide detail. My partner is Ben Romero. The boss is Thad Brown, Chief of Detectives. My name is Friday... I'm a cop."

...classic! I put them on my iPod and listen on the way to work.

SuperKELLYfragilisticexpialidocious
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:16 AM
Yay Virginia! I agree with all! This show was a little shaky coming together but as is only so typical of true theatre it came together in the end.

The Foley Artists were unreal!! and my Kara gives me something to work towards!

Love you guys!

Kara
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 12:01 PM
Pucker up, Buttercup!
Actually, Kelly's voice has GOT to be utilized more next season--we need to find a way. I'd been told by mutual friends from college that it was amazing, but it took Yes, Virginia to hear it for myself (since she refused to sing Happy Birthday to me).
Truthfully, there is so much unearthed talent at PPH and PCP--Matthew Gruca comes to mind--it's so exciting to think what can be discovered and the skills that can be developed and honed. I'm soooooo excited, you guys!!
Here's to US!!

Joe
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 4:48 PM
As always during rehearsals and tech, it just doesn't seem like it's all going to come together, but somehow it does. Last year we did "Scrooge, The Musical", a production which emcompassed every aspect of The Palmdale Playhouse for the first time ever. What a job. It didn't look like it would EVER come together, but it did and it ran for 3 weekends, 9 shows. I was there at the tech night for "Virginia" and agree it was a little shakey. But since the show only had 1 tech night to do sound and lighting, I guess it was to be expected. But the production DID come together and everyone did a fantastic job. I only wish I could have been a part of it. I was very proud of all of you especially Karen Gruca and Mathew Gruca. Although, it's true that I might be a little biased, in addition to all the names listed before, who did do a marvelous job, these two also did a fantastic job and helped make the production the success that it was.

QuantumCowboy
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 5:47 PM

Joe wrote:
I was very proud of all of you especially Karen Gruca and Mathew Gruca. Although, it's true that I might be a little biased, in addition to all the names listed before, who did do a marvelous job, these two also did a fantastic job and helped make the production the success that it was.

Hear hear.

Mathew did a fantastic job, it was wonderful to work with him on foley. And bravo to Karen for taking on such a large role so well... so many lines, with an accent! Not a simple thing! I was glad to see that Mathew auditioned for Sonnets, he's been making a darn good name for himself on stage as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking forward to many future shows with this awesome group.

Karen
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 8:21 PM
Thank you for the kudos. I enjoyed doing Virginia alot and I also felt it went rather well. Everyone did a great job and we all need to be proud of ourselves. Smile I think it will be a hoot when it finally becomes public, I can not wait. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and I would like to wish you all a Happy and Blessed New Year!!!!!! It will be really nice to see everyone on wednesdays again.

Listing 1-14 of 14 1 of 1
Back to top Go down
http://qcowboyphoto.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yes Virginia Props (resurrected)   Yes Virginia Props (resurrected) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yes Virginia Props (resurrected)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antelope Valley Thespians :: Theater :: Section: Production :: Past Productions-
Jump to: